Re: Is there a way NOT to reduce fractions?

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Is there a way NOT to reduce fractions?
Posted by:  Ron Rosenfeld (ronrosenfeld@nospam.org)
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 21:26:41 GMT, atom <h…@hmm.com> wrote:

>I have a formula that divides the numbers in two cells. The result is
>displayed as a fraction. How can I keep the numbers from being reduced.
>i.e. I DON'T want 5/10 reduced to 1/2; I want it displayed as 5/10.
>
>Thanks

You can specify the denominator by using the custom format # ??/10.

If that is not what you want, post back.

Excel actually stores the same number -- in your example it would be storing
0.5 -- so you need some method of telling Excel what you want the denominator
to be.  Or some rule that can be translated into a function that Excel can use.
--ron