Re: sorting numbers in a column

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: sorting numbers in a column
Posted by:  JMay (jm…@cox.net)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003

Sounds like your numbers (in the column you're trying to sort) are currently
formatted as TEXT.  Sorting numbers in text format comes out
1,11,18,2,23,25,256,3,.....
You need to convert them to numbers to sort them the way you want them.
In a blank cell somewhere in your sheet enter the number  1, then copy it
(the lone cell with the 1 in it).  then highlight the column of numbers your
wanting to sort and at the toolbar, click on Edit, Paste-Special, Multiply,
OK.  This will convert your text numbers to numeric numbers (maybe requiring
you to then Format then as General-type.
Erase the 1 in whatever cell you placed it in.  You no longer need it.
HTH

Backup/Save your file before trying...