Re: Problems with MS Excel Help (Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business)

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Problems with MS Excel Help (Office 2000 SR-1 Small Business)
Posted by:  Pete Lees (PD.Le…@btinternet.com)
Date: 17 Oct 2003

Don,

> Just recently, when I go to help, when I click the "See
> Also" items, I get "an error has occurred in the script on
> this page" from Internet Explorer running script.

This problem is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 822989
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822989). Unless you're a Windows
2000 user who has installed Service Pack 4, the solution should be to
apply Critical Update 811630, which is available from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

There have been a number of reports that installing Service Pack 4 for
Windows 2000 *causes* this problem. The solution in this case is first
to run this command from a command prompt:

regsvr32 /u <drive>:/winnt/system32/hhctrl.ocx

and then run this command:

regsvr32 <drive>:/winnt/system32/hhctrl.ocx

The first command unregisters the HTML Help ActiveX control, which is
what provides the navigation features in the help files; the second
command re-registers the control. This should fix the broken registry
entries that are responsible for the problem.

--
Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)