Re: Unable to open file

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Unable to open file
Posted by:  Dave Peterson (ec357…@msn.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003

I'm guessing a couple of things could have gone wrong:

#1.  Did you copy the files to a floppy disk and then open them from the
floppy?  It's never a good idea to work directly off a floppy for any of the
MSOffice suite of programs (excel/word/ppt, etc).  Floppies can get corrupted
and make the file inaccessible.

#2.  Did you open the excel file (*.xls) in MSWord and save it as a word file
(with an extension of .xls)?  If yes, then you may be able to get part of your
data back.  Try opening the file in word and copy|paste into a new
worksheet/workbook in excel.

But copy the file to somewhere on your harddrive first.  (It's ok to use the
floppy for transportation between work and home, but not a good idea to use it
directly within office.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec357…@msn.com