Re: Comparing columns for duplicates/differences

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Comparing columns for duplicates/differences
Posted by:  DavidP (d.pro…@ntlworld.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003

I suspect that 1 of your columns is in as text even though  it looks
like numbers.  probably the imported AS400 info.  Various ways to
ensure that all are true numbers.  Try this one provided by Steve
Aprahamian

Simple four click solution:
The simple four click solution below will change the format from a
"text string" to a "value" which can be sorted..

(1) Left click the column header to highlight the entire column.
(2) Left click the "Data" menu, across the top, so it drops down.
(3) Left click "Text To Columns" on the "Data" menu which dropped
down.
(4) Left click the "Finish Button" on the bottom right of the window.

After these four clicks, it may appear as if nothing has changed, but
behind the Excel scenes the data has been changed from "text strings"
to "values", which makes them sort properly.  There are several ways
to convert  "text strings" into "values" but this is the quickest and
easiest.