Re: how many combinations in a list equal a certain total

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: how many combinations in a list equal a certain total
Posted by:  Tom Ogilvy (twogil…@msn.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003

There are 2^480 - 1  unique combinations to check.  As a point of
comparison, there are only 8,640,000 seconds in 100 years (slightly larger
then 2^23)  In otherwords, there isn't enough time to do an exhaustive
examination without even trying to look at the results.

You could come up with a list of Unique prices and reduce the number of rows
you need to examine.  (so in your example, any solution that contains a B
could be another solution by replacing B with F)

Regards,
Tom Ogilvy