Re: Localhost from a Network Computer

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Localhost from a Network Computer
Posted by:  David Wang (w3.4y…@gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007

On Jul 5, 6:46 pm, mjones <mich.…@quality-computing.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On my server, C:\inetpub\wwwroot is mapped to w:\.
>
> >From another computer on the network, IE6 or 7 can access localhost
>
> using w:\ fine, except for the fact that the pages open so slow it's
> not reasonable to work from this other computer.
>
> Both computers are new, fast,running fully updated XP Pro and
> otherwise healthy.  Any ideas how the speed can be improved?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Michele

Windows does not behave like this by default, so you will have to go
through all the software, especially personal security software, that
may be scanning, throttling, and otherwise controlling network traffic
between your computers and possibly causing the issues you observe.

This does not seem like an IIS question because you said you are
accessing files using "W:\" , which does not involve "http://", so I
do not see IIS involved in your description at all. C:\inetpub\wwwroot
is just another folder on the computer and not special to IIS either.
Web browser like IE is able to open files without using HTTP against a
web server like IIS.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang