Re: Localhost from a Network Computer

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Localhost from a Network Computer
Posted by:  Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS) (egbert_nierop@nospam.invalid)
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007

"mjones" <miche…@quality-computing.com> wrote in message
news:1183686383.974260.1802…@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> On my server, C:\inetpub\wwwroot is mapped to w:\.
>
>>From another computer on the network, IE6 or 7 can access localhost
> using w:\ fine, except for the fact that the pages open so slow it's
> not reasonable to work from this other computer.
>
> Both computers are new, fast,running fully updated XP Pro and
> otherwise healthy.  Any ideas how the speed can be improved?

IIS, by defalt, uses the identity of local account, COMPUTER\IUSR_computer
for anonymous access. So make sure you create a local domain account that
serves this purpose.

In addition, make sure your ACL for the remote share and the NTFS allow
correct access.
It should allow the 'network account' that you assigned to w:\ as well as
the IUSR_ account.

More about this...
http://blogs.msdn.com/david.wang/archive/2006/01/27/Remote-UNC-Shares-and-the-IIS-Manager-UI.aspx

If that all is done, measure your bandwith to w:\ is that really good?