Re: HTTP Status 100

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: HTTP Status 100
Posted by:  David Wang (w3.4y…@gmail.com)
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007

Based on your description, I do not see anything wrong with IIS.

Can you describe why you think the user issue has to do with the "100
continue" response, and if it is the "100 continue", why the problem
is with IIS and not the remote client?

For example, your statement:
> The user sends the info, I can see the request hit 1 of our
> servers but the HTTP status of the request is 100. IIS
> user says they never get back anything of the response for
> the quote. Our servers never get the request to process
> quote data.

You seem to indicate that "IIS responses appropriately to send the
request" but the HTTP status of 100 is unexpected. And that the user
never gets back the response and the server never get the request to
process quote data. Thus, you think that HTTP status 100 is the
"problem".

Actually, we will need the complete request from the client to
determine if the HTTP status 100 is expected or not. The HTTP/1.1 RFC
details what should happen, so we can easily look at the request and
determine who is at fault. You can't just look at client behavior to
determine if the 100 continue is expected or not.

For example, there are plenty of web clients who claim to handle 100
continue but cannot do it, so that would be a bug with the client.

At this point, it looks like the client chokes on 100 continue and
fails to post the actual quote request so the server does not process
data. If the request indicates that the 100-continue is ok, then this
would be a bug with the client. Maybe the clients are behind proxy
servers with bugs, etc.

I don't know of a way to "turn off 100 continue" on IIS6 because
HTTP.SYS will automatically send it at the right time when client
indicates it supports it. Your work-around for broken clients could be
to make your HTML FORMs use GET instead of POST.

//David
http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
//