Re: Website Port when SMTP is Needed

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Website Port when SMTP is Needed
Posted by:  .._.. (.._…@yourmom.mil)
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007

The web site port and SMTP service are completely not connected to one
another.

Set your site on whatever port you want, then forget about it.

In IIS, you have to do one of two things;

1. Run the SMTP service (set it up to accept mail, default upon install is
to accept mail from nowhere, you need to put in the allowed list) and then
use "localhost" as your server name.

2. OR, just use an outside SMTP server somewhere (your ISPs will probably
work)

Also completely left out of your question is what mechanism (cgi script, ASP
script, FP extensions, etc.) is sending the mail.  Web pages dont send mail,
applications hooked up to them do.