Re: Task manager and regedit not working

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Task manager and regedit not working
Posted by:  Malke (notreally@invalid.invalid)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006

Chris wrote:

> Hello. My task manager and regedit are not working. I have tried many
> methods into trying to get task manager to open, and I have had no
> luck. I think I had a virus or work that deleted or modified the task
> manager itself or the registry. I got the virus from limewire, and the
> details on the virus are: It kept opening limewire by itself and the
> virus created a folder on my computer called "complete" and files were
> created in there by the virus, and the files multiplied in great
> number every minute. I found that "complete" file and deleted the
> whole thing. It had 15,000 files in it at that point. I also ran 3
> different virus scans and they detected 4 viruses and they are all
> cleaned and my computer is virus free. And that brings me to the Task
> manager and regedit. They simply do not open. If anybody can help I
> would be really greatful. Thanks a lot!

It is probable that your computer is still not clean. Go through these
general malware removal steps systematically -

Include scanning with either Sysclean or Multi_AV, plus Ewido. Do all
prep/finishing work and follow instructions to do all scans in Safe
Mode.

When all else fails, run HijackThis and post your log in one of the
specialty forums listed at the link above (not here, please).

If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local version of BigStoreUSA).

Malke

--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com