Re: Is it necessary to update Realplayer, and attain all security updates for al

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Is it necessary to update Realplayer, and attain all security updates for al
Posted by:  karl levinson, mvp (levinson…@securityadmin.info)
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006

"smith" <@discussion.com> wrote in message
news:eOho28QAHHA.47…@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi, all. Is it necessary to attain all security updates for all software
> installed on the system? Do I need to update Realplayer frequently?

It depends.  It is probably a good idea on a home or personal computer to
allow third party software like Real player to install security updates.
However, it is entirely your call, and is not an absolute requirement.
Being hacked via real player or most other third party software is not a
very common occurrence for home and personal computers, so the risk is
relatively low.  Installing updates to software like Real player somewhat
reduces, but does not entirely eliminate, your risk of being compromised.
And updates can cause some risk of things breaking or other unwanted
behavior.  There is never zero risk.

--
kind regards,
Karl Levinson, CISSP, CCSA, MCSE [MS MVP]