Re: Traverse Folder Permissions

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Traverse Folder Permissions
Posted by:  Kerry Brown (ker…@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007

<CDLond…@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1168188924.022463.2338…@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com...
> Greetings!
> I need for a user to be able to access a subfolder by browsing through
> the directories, but I don't want the user to be able to see any files
> in any of the folders above this folder.
> Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
> I have given the user the traverse folder permission, but that doesn't
> work.
> They seem to only be able to browse through the folders if I give them
> read rigths on the folders.  This however, allows them to see the files
> in the folders.
>
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank.
>
> Chad London

Is this on a network or a local user? If on a network create a share for the
folder you want to be the root. Don't give the user share permissions or
NTFS permissions for the share that is further up the tree than this. They
will be able to see the other shares but won't know their physical location
or be able to see the files. If it's a local machine change the tree
structure and use NTFS permissions.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User