Re: Apple Commercials Mock Vista Security

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Apple Commercials Mock Vista Security
Posted by:  John Slade (hhitman…@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007

"Borg Vomit" <not_phrynico…@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170871629.508469.950…@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> On target and very funny.

      Funny, probably. On target, maybe. If it's from idiots who lambaste
Microsoft for something when Apple does the same exact thing with OS X.
Where can we find one of those nuts? I probably won't have to look far.

> IE7 is just as bad, I tried to send this on IE7 but Google claimed I
> was blocking cookies even though I have Google listed as trusted.  1
> step forward, 2 steps back.

        Dealing with cookies is no big deal. For some blocking all cookies
is not convenient at all.

> It's simple, MS should include a firewall that is at least on par with
> ZA, and and stop inventing executable codecs and other virus friendly
> file formats.  MS also hasn't learned that there is a fine line
> between malware and "marketing friendly" software.

    I have to agree here. I never much liked the firewall that comes with
Windows. I don't need to use a firewall at all. Firewalls are overrated. A
router with the firewall turned off and protection software works better.

> Root kits were
> invented by Sony (if I'm not mistaken), and I think it's time that
> someone creates an enforceable standard (a law) that no app can access
> the web or contact the manufacturer's servers without the express
> consent of the user.  I don't need permanent "buy me now" buttons on
> every little app I use.

      I felt the same way when I installed Quicktime and every time I
wanted to use it, the popup malware was in my face telling me to buy
Quicktime Pro so I could watch in full screen.

  Nor does ever app need internet access. I
> "validated" my software when I had to drag my ass down to the store
> and give the surly cashier my hard earned money. Yes, piracy is a
> problem, but it's not my problem--my problem is the continuing focus
> on marketing and not on customer satisfaction.  That's the goal,
> customer satisfaction.  A "free market" means if you can't hack it,
> you leave.  If too many people are stealing your software, do
> something else, become a bus driver.  That's what we were told, if
> your jobs get sent overseas, do something else, it's the free market!

    Welcome to the real world. People want to make money an they will send
you ads no matter what. If they can't put popups on your compuer they put
the ads on the web page you're viewing.

> Automatic updates are the result of sloppy programming and greed.

    This is debateable. However if you don't want an OS with automatic
updates, use Linux or Unix versions that don't have automatic updates. OS X
and Windows have automatic updates.

> Here's an idea: test your f'ing software *before* you sell it.

    Apple does test it's software before it leaves, it's just that nobody
can catch everything and that's why you get security holes. Some holes can
use a simple picture to infect OS X with a virus or trojan. It's been done
before. The same goes for Windows, they test and test but always, hackers
find a workaround. You want to be more secure? Use a text based browser like
Mosaic and use a text only email program like Elm or Pine.

> So, maybe it's time to get back to basics.

    Yea that would be using text based web browsers and e-mail clients.
Have fun.

>Focus on making good
> software that is not spyware and maybe security will be as simple as
> watching 2 or 3 ports.

      If you have complex software, you're going to have problems with
security. Now those problems might or might not get exploited. That depends
on the people who want to exploit systems. Look at the recent DDOS attack on
three of he burte DNS servers, now the attackers will infect a computer that
is in heavy use in the prosecution of that attack. They wouldn't use Mac OS
X. And it's not because OS X is more secure, it's just that OS X computer
are so hard to find on the net.

> The more intrusive and disruptive a manufacturer's auto update/
> marketing scams, the more appealing the cracked version becomes (to
> non-techs). People won't select the cracked version because it's free,
> they'll do it because the devil you know is better than the devil you
> don't know (or vice versa?).  Of course that will cause a whole new
> cycle of malware infections (read: you shouldn't use cracked
> software).  Repeating: I'm saying you should not steal software, you
> should not use cracked software.

      Some of the commercial software out there can be considered spy ware.
So can some of the popular free software. An example is Morpheus. Morpheus
is like a doorway for trojans and other malware. Not because of the software
downloaded but the product itself. It dumps a ton of spyware on your system
if you install it.

> Lastly,  Vista is proof that the versions of windows between 3.11 and
> Vista weren't really OS upgrades, just skins with gimmicks.

      This is probably the most idotic statement I've heard to day. But the
day is young and I'm still reading this newsgroup. Windows has changed
greatly from Win 3.11 to Vista. If you can't see those changes, then you're
probably one of those idiots who thought Windows 95 wasn't an OS but just a
GIU over DOS. That's basically what Windows 3.11 was after 95, it was
changed, then it further changed with NT, 2000 and XP.

> I should really get a blog.

      Yea you should because you'er saying the same kind of stuff all the
biased blogs are saying. You should be lumped together with that garbage.

> Copyright 2007, Borg Vomit

      Excellent name. It describes most of the empty points you make about
Windows.

> PS a news cast just said:  Bootleg Vista on sale in Mexico... $9 !!!
> Sad. That means they'll add another 50 digits on the PID and make you
> call a 1800 everytime you boot up... time to switch to Linux.

    LOL. Bootleg Vista copies were on the Internet before they were sold in
stores. So are OS X copies.

John