Re: Personal firewalls vs XP firewall

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Personal firewalls vs XP firewall
Posted by:  Default User (default@user1.invalid)
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:15:00 -0800, Bob Johnson
<BobJohns…@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Due to having many users on our computer, using Windows XP Pro, I will be
>purchasing an Internet Security Suite. Is it better to have the personal
>firewall in the suite turned on and the XP firewall turned off, is it better
>the other way around or is there very little difference?
>I have not decided which suite to purchase so I would appreciate any
>recommendations.

You are better off with a personal firewall than using the built-in
firewall in Windows XP. The only exception to that rule would be using a
personal firewall that is too complicated for your technical skills;
misconfiguration of your firewall can render it useless. There are several
free firewalls that work just fine for most home users.

The main reason a personal firewall is better than the Windows firewall is
that personal firewalls can block outgoing traffic as well as incoming
traffic, where the Windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic.
Microsoft would like you to believe that you only need to block incomming
traffic, which might be OK if there weren't any such thing as
viruses/trojans/spyware/adware/etc.., but the reality is that Microsoft
software is so riddled with vulnerabilities that they will probably never
be safe without additional third-party protection. Microsoft's arrogance
about security makes them a threat to anyone who trusts their judgment.
Witness the stream of Vista vulnerabilities that have surfaced and the
arrogant blather from Microsoft about how you won't need third-party
software anymore because Vista is the height of secure OS'...HA!