RE: Connection issues between windows server and samba!

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: RE: Connection issues between windows server and samba!
Posted by:  Newell White (NewellWhi…@discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008

"Scott Shinnie" wrote:

> We have a Windows Server 2003 cluster which accesses data held on a samba
> share hosted on a Solaris 9.0 machine in a trusted domain.  However we
> regularly lose connectivity to the samba share from one of the application
> servers.  The share is up but the server is unable to access it.
>
> If I RDP on to the server and try and browse the share I receive the
> following error.
>
> \\serveralias\share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out
> if you have access permissions.
>
> No network provider accepted the given network path.
>
> If I use a FQDN (unix machine is in a different domain) or IP address to
> access the share it works correctly.  If i reboot the server access to the
> share is restored.
>
> This one has me beat - any advice would be appreciated - kerberos issue??
>
> Thanks in advance

You are not alone.

I can only map a Unix-based network drive by using \\IP\sharename on XP
workstation in our domain.
But once I do so, Explorer picks up the name (serveralias) from somewhere.

I suspect that computer names without domain suffix are located through the
browse list, which is powered by NetBIOS-over-TCP/IP, which Unix doesn't
recognise.
FQDNs are handled by DNS and AD I guess.

--
Newell White