Re: Problem with a virus

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Problem with a virus
Posted by:  Malke (malke@invalid.invalid)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009

Dimitris wrote:

> A few days ago I caught the W32.Virut.cf virus
> I am trying to remove it but it keeps coming back. I have Norton antivirus
> 2009.
> Anyway since the time I found the virus I can not access Windows Update
> and every antivirus website (Symantec, Mcafee and others) but I can access
> every other website. when I try to access the windows Update webpage I
> just get that white page that says that Internet Explorer can not open the
> site. Do you know anyway that I can access the Windows Update website
> concerning my problem?
> I have winXP Professional.
> I am writing to this Newsgroup from another computer.
>
> Any help concerning the virus or the update page will be very appreciated
> since I am trying to do anything possible to solve my problem and I also
> want to download the latest windows updates.

I don't know why your Norton couldn't catch it, but Symantec has a removal
tool here:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-020411-2802-99&tabid=3

You might also want to go through these malware removal steps:

Include scanning with David Lipman's Multi_AV and follow instructions to do
all scans in Safe Mode. Please see the special Notes regarding using
Multi_AV in Vista.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Multi-AV - instructions
http://tinyurl.com/yoeru3 - download link and more instructions

You can also check to see if there are targeted removal steps for your
malware here:
Bleeping Computer removal how-to's -
Or here: Malwarebytes malware removal guides -http://tinyurl.com/5xrpft

When all else fails, get guided help. Choose one of the specialty forums
listed at the first link. Register and read its posting FAQ. PLEASE DO NOT
POST LOGS IN THE MS NEWSGROUPS.

You will need to get the tools, etc. from a different known-clean computer
and put them on a USB thumb drive or burn to CD-R. After you get the
machine cleaned up you'll be able to get to Windows Update and other
security-related sites.

If you can't do the work yourself (and there is no shame in admitting this
isn't your cup of tea), take the machine to a professional computer repair
shop (not your local equivalent of BigComputerStore/GeekSquad). Please be
aware that not all local shops are skilled at removing malware and even if
they are, your computer may be so infested that Windows will need to be
clean-installed. If possible, have all your data backed up before you take
the machine into a shop.

Malke

--
MS-MVP