Ping: Robert Aldwinckle

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Ping: Robert Aldwinckle
Posted by:  BoaterDave (BoaterDa…@hotmail.co.uk)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> > "~BD~" <BoaterD.…@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>Bruce- Hi  :)
>
> >> I'm using Windows XP Home SP3 and Outlook Express 6
>
> >> I'm fairly sure that at some point in the past I could click on the
> >> message 'identifier' (shown in blue) and the full, original, message
> >> would appear in a new OE6 window. That no longer happens - in fact,
> >> nothing happens at all!
>
> >> You know about these things. Please, can you tell me why?
>
> >> (This is with reference to my recent post here "Re: Wondering")
>
> > Switch to a cmd window and enter:
>
> >    ftype  |  find  /i  "news="
>
> > What do you see?
>
> > Assuming you see something like this:
>
> > <example>
> > news="F:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /newsurl:"%1"
> > </example>
>
> > You could take that template, paste it into your  Run...  dialog,
> > then replace the  %1  with the  news:  link that you are trying to use
> > and you would be simulating what clicking on the news link
> > would be doing.
>
> > What happens when you try to do that?
>
> > To give the example some specificity here's what I had to put in my
> > Run...  dialog.
>
> > "F:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe"
> > /newsurl:"news:%23vwWAfA6JHA.50…@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl"
>
> > Note that the  %23 got converted to a # the first time I pasted it
> > so I had to change that back manually.
>
> > BTW I think the second set of quotes are probably unnecessary
> > (e.g. because a news link contains no spaces) but as long as this
> > works with them I would leave them there.
>
> > HTH
>
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---

Robert - this is the very first occasion I've seen your post (24 July)
so I wish to apologise profusely for my failure to respond to you. I
really am sorry.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the problem 'self-corrected' so
I took no further action.

Of more importance to me is how/why I was unable to see your post
until I followed the link posted by Bruce Hagen (who doesn't to
drugs!) All is most definately not quite as it should be on this
machine and/or on the groups I visit!

Thank you for trying to help me. There are some 'here' who will not
like that!

Cheers,
--
DaveI