RE: Multiple instances of SQL

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: RE: Multiple instances of SQL
Posted by:  John Vandervliet (JohnVandervli…@discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007

Hello I have a number of servers that have multiple instances on them. When
patching everything is quite straight forward and works as you expect namely
only the instance that is being upgraded is affected.  This includes the DLLs
and EXEs for each instance, master does count because its very obviously
different for each instance and as you run the patch one instance at a time
only one gets the update.
If this is prod server I would think about getting a box with enough CPU and
RAM to divvy up the resources to each instance. You’ll need to look into CPU
affinity.
We run this configuration when wanting to separate 3rd party applications
that are mostly poorly designed and our in house applications. We also use
this for spinning up multiple dev and test environments.

Hope that helps
John Vandervliet