Re: Need direction on troubleshooting speed issue

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Need direction on troubleshooting speed issue
Posted by:  MikeD (nobo…@nowhere.edu)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008

"4X" <…@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:302288A8-8442-4EA4-AA0F-A2874A3BDA…@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I need someone to point me in the direction to solve the problem below.
>
> I have an app I wrote in VB6 that uses the winapi to see text in another
> application and send keystrokes to it.
>
> I've been using this app happily for several years without modifications
> the winapi calls since I first wrote it.
>
> This past week I installed a new software product required by my employer.
> Now the time my program takes to do winapi calls has increased from
> milliseconds to 2 or 3 seconds (the part that ENUMs windows and threads).
> 2
> weeks ago my program performed its task in 1 hour.  Now it takes almost 6
> hours.
>
> Other than getting a different computer, any ideas?

Hard to imagine the installation and usage of another program could have
that kind of effect. My guess is that it's something else. But since you
didn't provide many details, can't say what. Even if this other app creates
hundreds of additional windows/threads that your app must now enumerate, I
can't see it having THAT drastic an effect (in the terms that you're
describing anyway). But, I suppose it's also not out of the realm of
possibilities either, depending on exactly what each program does. If you
really want help in troubleshooting this, you're gonna have to provide
detailed information about each program and what they do (shouldn't be a
problem for the one you wrote).

But if I were you, I'd be looking into other reasons as to why my program's
performance deteriorated so much.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic