Re: Unicode strings

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Unicode strings
Posted by:  mayayana (mayaXXyana…@mindXXspring.com)
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008

Someone else may know more, but maybe this
will help:

  VB uses unicode internally but shows you
an ANSI version. That probably doesn't matter
for what you're doing.
  But Japanese is a DBCS (MBCS?) language,
so some bytes are escape characters that define
the next byte. It's not a 1-to-1 correspondence
between characters and bytes. I don't know
how that would affect reading the string on an
English PC. Maybe you need to find documentation
for the escape characters and deal with them?
It's possible that you just can't deal with a
Japanese-language string without the Japanese
codepage.

  Virtually all VB code that relates to language seems
to have been written by Michael Kaplan. He also used
to write articles for VBPJ. You might find info. by
searching for his name with "vb".