Re: VS2008 not responding for a long time when add existing web site

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: VS2008 not responding for a long time when add existing web site
Posted by:  PvdG42 (pv…@toadstool.edu)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009

"dotAge" <dotA…@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B1444066-4D09-49EF-BD92-FD48B08979…@microsoft.com...
> Every time I want to add a existing web site, my Visual Studio always not
> responding for a long time, and the CPU almost 100%. Even though the "Add
> Existing Web Site" dialog window was loaded at last, and the web site
> could
> be added to solution, I'd like to know what caused that, and how to
> resolve
> it?
>
> System Information:
>
> Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
> Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
> Microsoft .NET Framework
> Version 3.5 SP1
>
> VISTA ULTIMATE X86 SP1

Where was the existing web site stored relative to the project to which you
added it? Were both on local drives, or was a network involved? How big
(storage-wise) was the web site you were adding? What do you mean by "a long
time"?

I'm asking because in trying to replicate your problem, I just added a small
(<30 MB) web site to an existing project, both stored locally, and there was
no delay and no CPU usage spike.