RE: Crystal Merge Module - Uninstalls CR for other apps on uninstall

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: RE: Crystal Merge Module - Uninstalls CR for other apps on uninstall
Posted by:  stche…@online.microsoft.com
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007

Hello Monty,

From your description, you're building a setup package which contains the
merge module of CRYSTAL REPORT. However, you found that the setup package
will always remove that module when performing uninstall and you're
wondering how to make that merge module persisted on the target machine and
not removed when unstall, correct?

Based on my research, removing merge module should be the default behavior
when you creating the MSI/setup package. Are you using the VS setup project
to create it or manually build the msi package through windows installer
sdk tools?  For a windows installer merge module, you can use the following
attribute to mark it as a permanent component so that the uninstall
operation won't remove it from target computer:

msidbComponentAttributesPermanent

You can find some info about this attribute below:

#Installing Permanent Components, Files, Fonts, Registry Keys

#INFO: Best Practices for Creating Windows Installer Merge Modules
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255684

#Component Table

However, since this is a  raw msi attribute, the VS setup project can not
view it, you may need to use the installer sdk tool to edit it. The "Orca"
utility is the one you can use to edit raw MSI package:

#How to use the Orca database editor to edit Windows Installer files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905

#How to use the Orca database editor to remove the "Everyone" option and
the "Just me" option from a Windows Installer package that you created by
using Visual Studio .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=835460

Hope this helps some.

Sincerely,