RE: Launch dll and disconnect

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: RE: Launch dll and disconnect
Posted by:  stche…@online.microsoft.com
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007

Hi Jack,

From your description, you have an unmanaged COM based  application which
call a .NET component through COM interop. Currently, you're wondering how
to make the callee .NET component continue running after you terminate the
caller application(unmanaged COM one), correct?

As for this scenario, I'm afraid it is not quite supported if the .NET
component is called through COM interop. Because in such case, the .NET
runtime is hosted in the originoal unmanaged COM based process. If you
terminate it, the whole process end and the CLR runtime also terminate. I'm
not sure whether remote communication is doable in your case, but the
proper way here is host the .NET component in a separate process and
exchange with the unmanagd process through some interprocess communication
approahes.

Welcome to post here if you have any other concerns here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.