Re: Browsers and Group Policy

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Browsers and Group Policy
Posted by:  strongline (johnl…@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Jun 2006

Standard Group Policy doesn't cover third-party browsers. However, you
can try to find out what registry entries they are using to store their
proxy settings (using regmon). Then you can write your own
Administrative Template, import into your AD policy to force populating
proxy value from AD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323639
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=en

As for your second question, if you set IE settings under User Settings
in a GPO that is link to OU that contains user accounts, then of course
if a user who is not in that OU will be able to bypass whatever you
have set up. There are couple things you can try here. (quite honestly,
microsoft's control over IE settings via policy is vey messy and
inconsistant. you can define IE settings in at least 3 places in group
policy. - and make sure you make changes on one server only, otherwise
you might overwrite your existing settings unexpectedly.)

1) use group policy loopback;
2) define policy "make proxy settings per-machine" under \\computer
settings\administrative templates\Internet Explorer" ;  (i am not quite
sure how this works myself, please check on your own)
3) you can define "disable changing proxy setting"