RE: replication scope question

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: RE: replication scope question
Posted by:  Ace Fekay, [MCT] (AceFekayM…@discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009

"Dudley" wrote:

> I have a DNS server with three AD integrated zones and one primary zone. That
> server is the only DC with DNS installed. There is a member server that has
> DNS installed that hosts secondary zones for all four of the zones on the DC.
> A replacement for the DC is in place. I would like to install DNS on the
> other DCs in the forest root domain and replicate the AD integrated zones.
> Currently the zone replication scope is set to "All Domain Controllers in the
> Active Directory domain". The current DNS servers are running Windows 2003
> SP2 32 bit, the new DC is running 64bit R2. Would there be any advantage to
> changing the scope to the default setting "All DNS servers in the Active
> Directory domain" or should I leave the replication scope alone? Would there
> be any issue due to the differences in operating systems?
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Dudley
> MCP, MCDST

Hello Dudley,

There are no difference with AD when it comes to either 32bit or 64bit
operating systems. You can change the replication scope to All DNS servers in
the Active Directory domain, which is a 2003 and newer operating system
setting because it takes advantage of the DomainDnsZones application
partition.

The current one you have it set on is for backwards compatibility with
Windows 2000 DCs. I would set that first prior to installing DNS on the other
DCs. Matter of fact, I would recommend all DCs to be DNS servers, and not any
of the member servers. This is because you can take advantage of Secure
Updates, which is only available on DNS servers installed on a DC that are AD
integrated zones, as wella s the fact that the zone is secure because it
exists in the Ad database, and not as a text file in the system32\dns folder,
and automatically replicates (with no zone transfers) to all DCs that have
DNS installed.

In summary, simply install DNS on the other DCs, sit back and wait about a
half hour or so, and the zones will auto-populate. If they don't, then
there's a replication issue. If you try to manually create them, you will
cause a duplicate zone issue. So sit tight and wait...

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging