Re: Inherited file permissions

Giganews Newsgroups
Subject: Re: Inherited file permissions
Posted by:  AllenM (allen.miya…@gmail.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006

Jim,
It seems to me that you are confusing "Share" level permissions with NTFS
folder permissions. Two different things. "Share" level permissions will
always superceed NTFS folder permissions with the least permissive access.
So if you "Share" Manager and on the "Share" level group "Everyone"
has only Read permissions it will superceed any "Modify or Write" NTFS
permissions you assign at the folder level. That said all that is necessary
and you must do in order to assign permissions higher that Read you must
give the group "Everyone" Full Control at the "SHARE" level. That is the
only group that should be listed in the SHARE permissions. Now you assign
your NTFS folder permissions. Here is how I would do it. And these are "NTFS
folder permissions.

> D:\manager (Administrators/FULL - System/FULL - Manager/FULL - Admin
> Staff/List)
>  Folder1 (Administrators/FULL - System/FULL - Manager/FULL - Admin
> Staff/Read)
>  Folder2 (Administrators/FULL - System/FULL - Manager/FULL - Admin
> Staff/Read)
>  Folder3 (Administrators/FULL - System/FULL - Manager/FULL - Admin
> Staff/Read)
>      file1
>      file2
>  Folder 100 (Administrators/FULL - System/FULL - Manager/FULL - Admin
> Staff/Read)

At the Manager level on the Advance tab you want to set "Allow inheritable
permisions
from the parent to propagate to this object and all child objects."

On the sub folders you want to turn Inheritance off and copy the parent
folders permissions the change Admin Staff to READ. At the sub folder level